CA Britline

Importing a car to France

If the car is already owned by you and registered and insured in the UK...

Your existing insurance will normally allow you to drive the car in France for a maximum of 90 consecutive days. During this time you must make the necessary arrangements to obtain your French “Certificat d’Immatriculation” (previously called Carte Grise; grey card).

If you buy a used car...

You have one month to register it and obtain a Certificat d’Immatriculation. After this period, if you cannot present the registration in your name during a roadside check, you risk a fine of up to 750 € (in general, fixed fine of 135 €). Full details on the process can be found on the French government website :

(select “Véhicule immatriculé à l’étranger” – vehicule registered abroad).

As soon as you have this French registration, contact us to put in place your new car insurance. We provide a range of insurances to suit your needs.

You may wish to ask the garage you are buying from or look for a 3rd party company who offer for a fee to take care of.

Your car insurance is held with us but the car is still registered in the UK

Car insurance rules have changed recently –therefore make sure your car has been registered in France before requesting a quote. If you already hold your car insurance with us but your car is still registered in the UK you must regularise this as soon as possible. Please contact us now to discuss.

Top Tip

Many garages or private companies can now help you obtain your Carte Grise for a fee. Therefore if you lead a busy lifestyle this could be an option for you.

Take the Britline Challenge on your French car insurance

1. Click here to provide your contact details and the best time to contact you.
2. We will call you back and discuss your requirements. Please have your driving license, Carte Grise, and current no claims bonus to hand.