What is strong customer authentication?
To increase the security of online payments and combat fraud, new regulations have come into force.
(Extract text EU Commission full text available here)
PSD2 obliges payment service providers to apply so-called "strong customer authentication" (SCA) when a payer initiates an electronic payment transaction.
SCA is an authentication process that validates the identity of the user of a payment service or of the payment transaction. More specifically, the SCA indicates whether the use of a payment instrument is authorised.
In terms of how it works in practice, customers will receive advice from their banks or payment providers. They will have to provide two or more of the following elements when making payments, which can be categorised as:
- Knowledge: something only the user knows, e.g. a password or a PIN code
- Possession: something only the user possesses, e.g. a mobile phone, and
- Inherence: something the user is, e.g. the use of a fingerprint or voice recognition.
We will be asking you every 90 days(1) to authenticate your account and online access to assure that it's you.
When we ask you for a SCA a double authentication will be required to access the Ma Banque application or the CA online banking site.
In practical terms what will happen?Every 90 days(1) your connection will take place in 2 steps:
- You validate your login and personal code on our French online banking site or on your Ma Banque application, as usual.
- A secure customer authentication (SCA) will be requested via:
• a temporary code received by text message to your mobile phone,
• a notification on your Ma Banque application, if you have already chosen the free SecuriPass(2) service.
You will simply need to input this code or validate the Securipass request in order to continue using the digital banking service.
Verify your contact details
Please make sure we have the correct mobile number and email address for your account.
If you have any questions please call your advisor.
(1) Only one strong authentication is required per Crédit Agricole online contract and per 90-day period. It may be requested alternatively on the website or on the Ma Banque application depending on each customer's usage.
(2) Free download and access to applications, excluding communication costs depending on the operator. The use of the application requires the possession of a communication terminal compatible with Internet access and subscription to the Crédit Agricole Online service.