CA Britline
Menu

Do I need Top-Up health cover living in France?

Do I need Top-Up health cover living in France?If you live in France as a permanent resident, the short answer to that question is yes...

Why? The French healthcare system works very differently to the UK. Although a proportion of healthcare costs are covered by the state (70%), the other 30% is the responsibility of the individual, through arranging insurance cover via the mutuelle system or by using private insurance. There are exceptions to this, but that is generally the rule.

A mutuelle is therefore a form of healthcare insurance plan. In fact, it is obligatory to pay into a mutuelle (not-for-profit organisations who provide health, pensions and other benefits). You will also regularly see a mutuelle referred to as complementary or Top- Up health cover. Once the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December 2020, providing evidence that you can pay for your healthcare in France is a requirement of any application for a Carte de Séjour.

Medical costs such as a visit to your GP, having an X-ray or a blood test may be relatively small, however if you require hospital treatment for an operation or following an accident, the medical bill could be expensive. So, if you now live in France or are planning a move, sorting out your health care cover is an important priority.

If you are eligible for a carte vitale top-up health cover is the most straightforward way of obtaining full healthcare cover. It is flexible too, you can decide whether to pay for a basic package (e.g. to cover the cost of a stay in hospital) or choose a standard health care policy which includes the cost of dental and optical expenses.

Here at CA Britline our friendly team of English-speaking advisors can assist you through the complexities of the French healthcare system and help you choose the right policy for you and your family. Our health insurance policies come with a competitive premium and excellent health care coverage. To contact us please get in touch.